The EARLI Executive Committee (EC) in collaboration with the Jacobs Foundation would like to express its commitment to valorise high-quality research conducted in countries that are facing financial struggles and in which researchers have little access to funds. In this light we will offer the Jacobs Foundation Travel Award which will be granted in the form of:
1) a waived conference fee to JURE 2019 and/or EARLI 2019 conferences,
2) travel costs and accommodation costs limited to an amount of 1,000€,
The award will be granted to a number of participants that fit the requirements below:
- A proposal accepted for the JURE 2019 and/or EARLI 2019 conference as a presenting author. Only presenting authors can apply and will be considered for the award. Applications of persons only attending the conference as a chair, discussant or co-author will not be considered. People who already have their conference fee waived by EARLI, or who are funded by an external funding body, are not eligible either.
- The quality of the proposal will also be taken into account, as we strive to have high quality presentations at the conference. The average reviewing score for the applicant’s proposals, as result of the 2019 review process, will serve as a reference.
- The applicant’s list of publications (2009 - 2019) and scientific achievements from the past 10 years.
- A financial criterion will be taken into account whether a presenting author is eligible for the funding. As such, the World bank data for 2017 (GDP per capita). The threshold for low-GDP (Gross Domestic Product) countries is determined at annual income per capita of less than 23.937,74 USD, equivalent to 21.094,3€. Therefore, we only consider funding requests coming from the following low-GDP countries:
- African countries
- Asian countries (with following exceptions: Brunei Darussalam, Hong Kong SAR, Israel, Japan, Korean Rep., Kuwait, Macao SAR, Qatar, Singapore, United Arab Emirates)
- Latin American countries
- and the following countries in the wider European area: Albania, Armenia, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, FYR of Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey and Ukraine.
- Please note that the following country were low-GDP for EARLI 2017 but do not longer qualify: Malta and Spain.
- Presenting authors from all other countries are not encouraged to apply.
The final decision on granting the award will be made by the EARLI EC. Preference will be given to presenters working in European countries, as EARLI is a European association.
Should you meet these criteria, please fill in your application form by March 31st midnight CEST. Your request will be examined based on these requirements; after which you will be notified by the beginning of April.
We hope that this will allow you to join the JURE 2019 and/or EARLI 2019 conference. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any additional questions.
The EARLI Executive Committee and the Jacobs Foundation
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Jacobs Foundation was established in 1989 by Klaus J. Jacobs and his family. The foundation seeks to benefit future generations by providing children and young people with better opportunities for development, so that they can become productive and socially responsible members of society. http://jacobsfoundation.org/